Clogged pipes are an unpleasant problem. They can be caused by a build-up of grease, hair, food and other things that shouldn’t be there. Mother Nature can be to blame as well, when tree roots get into drain lines.
When your water starts draining slowly, or you’re faced with a clogged bathtub, there are a few ways to get things flowing quickly.
Clearing a sink or bathtub drain that’s clogged
Here are three tools that are easy on your pipes and can help you get the job done:
- Drain snake: One of the best ways to unclog a drain is with a drain snake. It will simultaneously help break up the clog while grabbing the clog so you can pull it out. To use a drain snake, simply push the snake down the drain until there’s some resistance—remembering that it may need to pass around a bend. When you feel the snake hit the blocked area, turn it until the resistance eases off. Then pull the snake—and the clog—back up through the drain.
- Plunger: When your bathtub drain is clogged, a plunger can be a great option. Just remove the strainer or stopper, clean up the surface area and add some water to help the plunger get suction. Then press and pull the plunger cup over the drain about a dozen times. If the blockage is clearing, water and debris will likely come up from the drain.
- High-pressure water hose: You can attach a flexible jet hose to your pressure washer to get into the drain and use water to clear out your clogged pipes. With the washer set to low, feed the hose in the pipe until you feel it reach the blockage. Then use a series of short sprays to loosen the debris.
The best way to unclog a drain when your main line is blocked
If your clog is in the main line of your home, you may need to remove the backflow preventer and try a clearing tool like a power drum auger. To do this, you will need to:
- Feed the cable into the pipe until you reach the clog.
- Allow the auger to run until you feel the clog clear, then carry on further down the line to check for additional clogs.
- Rinse the line with water.
If draining doesn’t improve or you’re not able to fix the clogged pipes, consider bringing in an expert. An experienced plumber will know how to assess and address more difficult problems.
Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services has licensed plumbing professionals and all the tools needed to resolve your drain issues. Contact us first to make sure you get the quality service and results you need, at a price that’s fair.
To unclog your drain or plumbing system call: 416-663-4777