Why do your pipes freeze in Toronto?
Living in Toronto, there is always a risk of pipes freezing in the winter. Frozen pipes can be an expensive annoyance. With some preparation, you can prevent the pipes from freezing when the temperature drops. Frozen pipes occur because water present in the pipes turns to ice and expand. The pressure from this expansion can cause the pipe to split or rupture. When the weather warms up, the ice thaws, and leaks develop in your home. This exposes you to the risk of serious water damage.
Tips for Frozen Water Pipe Prevention
If you use the following tips, you can reduce the likelihood of having your pipes freeze.
- Allow water to trickle out of your pipes. It’s harder for moving water to freeze.
- Keep your thermostat at or above 55 degrees, even if you are not at home. At this house temperature, your pipes are less likely to freeze.
- Leave your under-sink cabinets open. This allows the warm air from the house to flow around the pipes.
- Wrapped exposed pipe in electrical heat tape for insulation.
- Use foam insulation to protect vulnerable pipes.
- If you have pipes in the garage, keep the door closed.
- If a pipe is in a place that is not temperature regulated, run a space heater. You want the temperature to be over 40 degrees.
What to do if your pipes freeze?
In some cases, pipes may freeze despite the preventative methods we take. Should this happen, the first thing to do is turn off the water at the shut off valve. This prevents the plumbing problems from becoming exacerbated when the pipes thaw. The next thing to do is to call a professional plumber, like Dr.Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services.
Frozen pipe repairs
Repairing frozen pipes follows a basic process, which can be adjusted for customer’s situation. Our process usually involves the following steps:
- Identification of the problem. We need to determine what cause the pipes to freeze.
- Isolation of the problem. This lets us know how big the problem is, and indicates how much of the pipe needs to be repaired.
- Temporary solution for smooth day to day activities. You need water for daily use: cooking, laundry, cleaning, and personal hygiene. We figure out a solution to minimize disruptions to your daily routine.
- Thawing the frozen pipes. We need to remove the ice in order to repair the pipe. Care will be taken to reduce any water damage during the thawing process.
- Frozen pipe repair. The pipe is repaired using state-of-the-art technology. It is then inspected a second time to verify the problem is solved.
If you’re suffering from frozen pipes in Toronto, give Dr.Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services a call for a free inspection. Our licensed plumbing professionals are backed by 20+ years of experience. We treat you like we want to be treated, respecting your time from inspection to completion.