Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors
We speak: We speak
416 663 4777
24/7 Emergency Service

The drain rebate Drain Rebatesoffered by the City of Toronto has a set of strict guidelines. Property owners need to comply with these guidelines to avail a refund. It is necessary that you hire a professional who can understand the technical points mentioned in the guidelines. These conditions also ensure that proper procedures are followed while installing valves and pumps. The guidelines are:

  • The property should be a duplex, triplex, or single-family residential property within Toronto.
  • Houses that are currently under construction are not eligible for the refund.
  • The weeping tiles should be disconnected from the city’s sewer system wherever possible.
  • The hired plumber or contractor should have a license from the Corporation.
  • Necessary permits should be taken before installing a backwater valve.
  • The driveways and paved areas in front of the house should comply with the by-law regulations.
  • One can apply for the City of Toronto drain rebate only after the work has been completed.
  • Billing of every minute detail is needed and the bill should be marked “paid in full”.
  • Only original documents are accepted by the Corporation.
  • The application should be sent in within a year of completion of work as mentioned on the original invoice.
  • The drain rebate by the Corporation is subject to first come first-serve basis and on the availability of funds.

The Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program is divided into four categories as listed below:

  • Backwater valve installation can get you a subsidy of 80 percent of the bill subject to a $1,250 limit.
  • Using a sump pump can get you a subsidy of 80 percent of the bill subject to a $1,750 limit.
  • Using a combination of both backwater valve and sump pump can get you a subsidy of 80 percent of the bill subject to a $2,800 limit.
  • Pipe severance and capping makes you eligible for a subsidy of 80 percent of the bill subject to a $400 limit.

 In case you are installing a backwater valve, you need to obtain a permit for the same. You need to deposit the requisite fee and drawing of your plans to the Building Division of Toronto. If the proposal meets the requirements of the bylaws, a permit will be awarded to you. Verification by an inspector of the Building Division is necessary to ascertain if the work has been completed properly. You can contact the following phone numbers to inquire about the permits:

  • Wards 14, 18-22, 27-32: 416-392-7539
  • Wards 8-10, 15-16, 23-26, 33-34: 416-395-7000
  • Wards 1-7, 11-13, 17: 416-394-8002
  • Wards 35-44: 416-396-7322


After the work has been completed, you need to obtain the bill marked as “paid in full” by the hired contractor or plumber. Then fill up the necessary form for the Subsidy Program and mail it at:

 15266 STN BRM B

Toronto, ON M7Y 2W1

 The authorities will conduct an on-site inspection. If the work done gets approved, you will receive your refund. Otherwise, you will be informed via mail.

There are numerous government schemes for the benefit of people and this is one of them. Ensure that you have the necessary permits and you hire only a licensed professional plumber or contractor. Otherwise, your claim will get rejected. 

Call Now Button