Give us a call today: 416-663-4777 for a free upfront estimate!
When you experience Toronto basement flooding, chances are that you feel overwhelmed the moment that you gaze upon your new (unwanted) indoor swimming pool. After you stop to wonder why you did not get a sump pump or backwater valves before, you probably want to do something to resolve the issue. The first thing that we can tell you is that you SHOULD NOT enter into the flooded area until you have a qualified professional give you the OK.
Think Of Your Health
The first thing that you want to do is remember that a wet basement can be dangerous. There are a number of different factors that you have to take into consideration with Toronto basement flooding. These include:
- Structural damage – This might not be common, but it might occur under a few certain conditions. This leads to the weakening of ceiling structures and walls. If you believe that a flood might have compromised the structural integrity of your basement, do not attempt to go in.
- Chemicals – You might be exposed to a wide range of contaminants when you clean your basement. This includes anything that might have come in through the floodwater as well as the cleaning agents that you use. Make sure that you limit exposure and keep the area well ventilated.
- Pollutants – It is possible to transmit disease with sewage, because of the many bacteria that it contains. There might even be raw sewage in your basement if the floodwater in your basement originated from the sanitary sewer.
- Gas leaks – Depending on the severity of your Toronto basement flooding, you might have issues with a gas leak. Leave the house right away when you smell gas.
- Electrical shock – There is a legitimate risk of electrical shock if your basement is wet. If you want to be sure that it is safe to go into your basement, make sure that you turn off the power to your home at the main breaker switches.
Once you have made sure that there is no immediate danger with electricity, it is a good idea to call in the licensed professionals to take care of the issue. Remember that during a serious Toronto basement flooding issue, you might have many more problems than ‘just water’.
Do not allow the water to weaken the structural integrity of your home; do not allow the water to cause serious issues with mold, call the professionals at Dr. Pipe Drain and Plumbing Services to take care of your Toronto basement flooding issue.