A flooded basement is one of the most expensive issues you can deal with as a homeowner. The average cost is several thousand dollars and depending on the size of your home and the extent of the damage can surpass $10,000. When you know it’s coming, you can prepare for it, we can help you spare a lot of time and expense.
There are a number of preventative measures you can take now to protect your home, and you wallet, in the future. The city of Toronto offers a Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy that can greatly offset the cost of these measures as well. That takes a lot of the stress off of you as a homeowner not just in terms of peace of mind but financially as well. Here are the three ways that meet eligibility requirements to take advantage of the Toronto plumbing rebate.
- Backwater Valve Installation: A backwater valve is a fixture a licensed plumber must install in your home’s connection to the city’s sewer lines. It prevents water from backing up into your home during heavy rainfall and flooding. We can install, inspect or replace a backwater valve in your home that meets the city’s requirements. The subsidy will cover up to 80% of the cost, up to $1250 for this service.
- Sump Pump Installation: A sump pump will pump water collected by your weeping tile in a sump basin away from your home. During heavy rains or flooding, this basin will fill up rather than your basement. The water is then pumped to a safe distance several meters from the building. We can install or replace a sump pump system in your home, including backup power for the pump in the event flooding and storms knock out the main power. This is also covered at 80% of the invoiced cost to a maximum of $1750.
- Severing or Capping Weeping Tile/Storm Sewer Connection: Weeping tile is a perimeter drain system buried around your home – a series of pipes with small holes that allow water to filter in and then drain into a sump basin or some other safe location, preventing the water from leaking into your basement. We can sever or cap these from connecting to storm sewer which can prevent flooding. The subsidy will cover 80% of this cost up to $400.
What Is a Maximum for a Rebate?
The city of Toronto lost nearly $9 million in 2017 due to flooding, and for that reason they’re willing to help you prevent the loss before it happens. The Basement Flooding Protection Subsidy Program can offer up to $3,400 per residence to offset the costs of these preventative measures, saving you thousands out of pocket.
How Can We Help?
In order to qualify for the subsidy there are three important things you need to do.
- The first is to apply for the subsidy, which can be done here at the City of Toronto’s website.
- The second, if you need a backwater valve, is to apply for a building permit.
- The third is to fill out a consent to enter form. This allows City officials to inspect the device in your home to ensure it meets standards.
These subsidies only apply when work is performed by a licensed plumbing contractor. We can help fill out the application forms and assist in obtaining the permit to make this process as smooth as possible for you and to ensure you get the maximum flooding rebate you can qualify for.
The City is offering this rebate for work done now but that may change in the future. Call us now and we can offer a quote upfront for what will work best for you.