Trenchless water line replacement is a very easy and cheap alternative to excavation. It ensures greater efficiency in minimum time.
It is used when you need to replace the pipes. Such a need arises in case of a general degradation of pipes or bursting of pipes. This kind of trenchless replacement can be performed using a number of instruments which are pierced through the already existing cables and a new set is laid down.
The U300 “Big Shot” is one such instrument. The 300 represents the size (diameter) of the instrument, which is 3 inches. It weighs a moderate 75 lbs and is 55 inches long. The Big Shot method is far quicker than the others. The U300 is inserted from one end and pulled out from the other. The process includes the following steps:
- Make sure there is no standing water while performing the replacement. Drain out the water if necessary.
- Leave a gap of at least 24 inches at the entry point. It prevents the supply line from kinking during the shot.
- Mark the bolt according to the distance between entry and exit points.
- Make sure there is enough clearance at the exit point. This ensures coverage even if the tool is misaligned.
- Oil the air hose properly to make sure it is free of contaminants. This also helps in the smooth flow of the hose.
- Use a compressor to push the hose through the entry point.
- Always increase the pressure of the compressor pump slowly. Sudden changes can prove to be dangerous.
- Do not tilt the hose towards one side. This helps in avoiding misalignment.
- When the hose reaches the exit point, the knob on the compressor stops moving in the clockwise direction.
- Once the Big Shot is out from the exit point, cap it to prevent contamination.
- Similarly, cap the entry point to prevent any contamination as well.
Trenchless replacement is a highly effective procedure. It causes minimal damage to the ground since only two holes are dug during the replacement process. Therefore, the mess created can be easily handled.
Also, it is not a do-it-yourself process. Expert supervision is required for conducting this task and using the U300 equipment. Make sure you hire a proficient plumber for this job if you want to make sure that you get value for your money. Although a permit is not required for such a procedure, make sure you follow all the guidelines laid down for it by Toronto Corporation.