Waterproofing is one of the major jobs undertaken to ensure that your house is livable. This is especially important if you are living in areas that are prone to floods or storms. In most cases waterproofing is done by placing membranes across the walls. These membrane layers may be more than one and of different materials. However, any problem while applying the membranes can lead to leaks later on. Fortunately, there has been a radical improvement in membrane technology, making it a highly efficient method of waterproofing.
However, there are still some common waterproofing mistakes that occur during the process. Let’s take a look at the top 5 waterproofing mistakes:
- The first waterproofing mistake that people often do, is while choosing who to call for waterproofing. Choosing the right company can be a difficult task in itself. The end result of choosing the wrong person to do your waterproofing is that you either end up having a botched job or you pay too much for a waterproofing system that is worth much less. The best way to avoid this waterproofing mistake is to get some free quotes from companies near you, and according take a decision based on their prices and their expertise.
- The next mistake that people commit while waterproofing is that they don’t realize the intensity of the problem. For example, a wall may just need a simple wall coating, or servicing the floor drain of the basement to keep it waterproof. However, companies insist on excavations and installing footer drains, as well as placing membranes on the exterior walls. You need to realize whether these methods are really necessary.
- The third mistake is when home owners try to waterproof their homes by themselves, just so that they can save money. You need to understand that without any experience, you cannot do proper waterproofing. Whatever work you do will not be as effective as it should be and you will end up spending even more money to recover from the damages. Complex home improvement jobs like waterproofing should always be handled by professionals.
- Some people go for sump pumps as a method to waterproof their basement. But you need to remember that sump pumps are messy and frustrating. You need to jack hammer the floor and it mostly leaves a pit full of wet slosh and makes things worse.
- The final mistake most people commit with regards to waterproofing is that they forget to have a dehumidifier. Remember, humid conditions in the basement can catalyze the formation of mold and mildew inside your basement. It is necessary that you have a dehumidifier to clear the air of the humidity and make it more comfortable for people to breathe in. The best dehumidifier is the one that is directly in proportion with the size of the basement. This means that the larger the basement, the bigger the dehumidifier.
Waterproofing mistakes are common in many jobs, but if you stay alert, you can avoid these mistakes and keep your home in top condition.